10 Questions to Ask Breast Cancer Surgeons and Specialists
Doing a web search for “the best breast cancer doctors near me” is likely a search most people don’t look forward to making. But statistics project approximately 281,550 new cases of invasive breast cancer diagnoses in American women and 2,650 in men in 2021.Although the idea of having to look for breast cancer surgeons and specialists can be overwhelming, there are compassionate, knowledgeable, and skilled experts waiting to help guide and care for you—every step of the way.
At General Vascular and Surgery (GVS), Dr. Michael Rotkis is known for his gentle approach and recognized for his innovative surgical techniques. In addition to helping people preserve their natural beauty, Dr. Rotkis strives to ensure his patients are comfortable and at ease. Part of helping his patients feel more confident and relaxed is inviting them to ask questions.
10 Questions to Ask a Breast Surgeon Oncologist
If you are searching for a breast surgical oncologist near me—or have been referred to a breast cancer surgeon or specialist—you likely have many questions. But, for many people, feelings of fear and overwhelm make it challenging to know the kind of questions to ask.
If you are speaking with a prospective breast cancer specialist, consider asking:
- What type of experience do you have?
- What type of breast surgeries do you perform?
- Will you be my primary oncologist, or will I be seen by other doctors?
- How do you communicate with patients (phone, email, text?)
- What will my treatment plan look like (even after surgery?)
Additional questions to ask once you have selected a breast cancer surgeon or specialist can include:
- What are the risks and/or side effects of the surgery I’m having?
- What stage of cancer do I have and what does it mean in terms of outcomes?
- How do I prepare for surgery?
- What can I expect for my recovery after breast surgery and how long will it take?
- What will follow-up care look like a month, six months, a year, and multiple years look like?
A Safe Space to Ask the Questions That Are Important to You
Again, the list above is simply a sampling of questions you may want to ask your breast cancer surgeon. There is no question you should feel scared or uncomfortable asking! Your breast care doctor should be someone you trust, feel comfortable with, and who provides you with personalized attention.
If you have been searching for a breast cancer specialist near me, we encourage you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Rotkis now. Or, call us now for questions at 574-236-1888—it’s time!