Gentlemen, When and Why You Should See a Colon Surgery Specialist
If you are a male around the age of 50 or older and are on the hunt for a colon surgery specialist or a “proctologist near me,” then you are ahead of the game. Why? One good reason, according to statistics, is that approximately 90% of new colorectal cancer cases are diagnosed in people aged 50 and older. And, while women can and do develop colon cancer, men are slightly more at risk.
So, if you have had your colon checked in the last year—good! If not, now is the perfect time to make an appointment.
When to See a Colorectal Surgeon
The importance of visiting a colon specialist, especially if you are at risk for colon cancer, is that early detection makes it much easier to treat. That’s why having regular, yearly colonoscopies is one of the best preventable measures you can take.
While age can be a contributing factor in developing colorectal cancer, there are additional risk factors as well. These include:
- Inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease)
- Family history of colorectal cancer and colorectal polyps (or hereditary non-polyposis colon cancer, HNPCC)
- Certain inherited genetic syndromes (Peutz-Jeghers syndrome, PJS and MYH-associated polyposis, MAP)
- Physical inactivity
- Drinking (heavily)
In addition to the risk factors above, if you exhibit any of the following symptoms, you should see a colon surgery specialist immediately:
- Rectal bleeding (bright red blood)
- Blood in the stool (which may make the stool appear dark)
- Abdominal pain and cramping
- Weakness and fatigue
- Consistent, unexpected weight loss (unexpected)
- Diarrhea, constipation or narrowing of the school (lasting for more than a few days)
These are potential indications of colorectal cancer (or other gastrointestinal problems) and should be addressed as soon as possible.
Trusted Experts in Detection and Colorectal Surgery
At GVS, our colon surgery specialists perform thousands of colonoscopies. Having the guidance of a highly-skilled and practiced colon expert is essential in ensuring a correct interpretation of your colonoscopy results—and, for helping you navigate any necessary next steps.
Hopefully, your appointment search has been successful, landing you here to find an expert, compassionate “colorectal surgeon near me.” Or, if you’ve already been considering making an appointment, we can help with that too!
No matter what brings you to our GVS site, we invite you to schedule a consultation now! You can also call us any time for questions at 574-236-1888—it’s time!