According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), an estimated 90% of colon cancer cases occur to individuals that are 50 years old and older. Yet, caught early through screening, colorectal cancer is often preventable. This is why, if you are between the ages of 45 and 50, it’s time to start thinking about scheduling a colonoscopy. But, you may wonder, who performs a colonoscopy?
When Mishawaka, South Bend, and Elkhart area residents need a colonoscopy surgeon—the best expert to perform a colonoscopy—they turn to our compassionate and skilled General Vascular and Surgery colon surgical team.
Find the Best Doctor for Colonoscopy Screening in Your Area
While searching online for the “best doctor for a colonoscopy near me,” will yield plenty of results, there are a few important considerations to contemplate before you get on your laptop (or smartphone).
For example, the following questions are helpful to ponder prior to pulling up the results of your online search:
- What qualifications (education and experience) does your prospective colon surgeon have?
- Is the colon doctor board-certified?
- How long has the potential colon surgeon been performing colonoscopies?
- In the event that you need treatment following your colonoscopy, can the doctor you are considering perform any necessary follow-up surgical procedures?
- Where does your colon doctor candidate perform colonoscopies? Which local surgical center/hospital?
- What type of colonoscopy doctor ratings does the practice you are looking at have?
Ensuring You Choose the Right Colon Doctor for You
Conducting your own mini-screening of a colon surgeon candidate will help whittle down your options. Once you feel that you have a candidate who appears to be highly educated, board-certified, experienced, and able to offer a convenient location to perform the colonoscopy (at a nearby hospital or surgical center), you can ask to book a consultation.
Once face-to-face with your doctor, you should feel comfortable and encouraged to ask any questions you might have, as well as able to express any concerns.
At GVS, we have an entire colon surgical department strictly dedicated to performing colonoscopies. And, we have a 4.89 out of 5.00 patient-satisfaction rating! Our board-certified surgeons place a priority on patient-centered education and care.
If you have been putting off a colonoscopy out of fear, or because you haven’t been able to find a suitable surgeon, consult with our physicians now! Or, call us now for questions at 574-236-1888—it’s time!