What is the Bariatric Weight Requirement for Gastric Bypass Surgery?
How overweight do you have to be to get gastric bypass surgery? It’s a common question we receive at General and Vascular Surgery. With upwards of 250,000 bariatric weight loss procedures performed in the U.S. each year, many people with obesity are curious to know if they fit the criteria for surgery. And, while a patient’s bariatric weight is certainly imperative in determining candidacy for weight loss surgery, there are additional factors to consider.
At GVS, fellowship-trained, Dr. Luis Benavente is happy to answer questions regarding bariatric surgery. If you’ve been considering bariatric surgery, find out what it takes to qualify and why local Mishakawa and Elkhart area patients choose GVS.
Qualifications for Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery
When discussing the bariatric weight range to qualify for surgery, it’s important for patients to understand their Body Mass Index (BMI). BMI measures your weight in relation to your height. A bariatric surgeon uses this measurement to determine your bariatric weight (obesity diagnosis). BMI obesity levels are broken down into three classes:
- Class One — BMI of 30 – 35
- Class Two — BMI 35 – 40
- Class Three — BMI 40-plus
As a general rule, bariatric surgeons require:
- Your BMI to be greater than or equal to 40 (class three), or that you are 100-plus pounds overweight.
- Your BMI to be greater than or equal to 35 (class two) in combination with one or more of the following: type II diabetes, gastrointestinal disorders, heart disease, respiratory diseases, sleep apnea, hypertension, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, lipid abnormalities, and osteoarthritis.
- The inability to sustain healthy weight loss over a period of time.
Are You a Candidate For GVS Weight Loss Procedures?
The best way to know for sure whether you qualify for bariatric surgery for weight loss is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Benavente. Known for his compassionate, friendly, and professional approach to weight loss, Dr. Benavente has helped countless patients to achieve their weight-loss goals.
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Benavente or, call us now for questions at 574-236-1888—it’s time!